Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Rip-off Super-8 Sod!

  1. #11
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    Well, now don't you feel better that you've calmed down!

    -Alex

  2. #12
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alex:


    I'd focus your energy more on whether this guy tests the equipment he finds to make sure it works, and knows how to fix it.

    In a serendipitious turn of events, what if this guy sends some of his cameras in for repair that he finds to a technician who also repairs our very own super-8 cameras.

    Perhaps that repair person would have quit the business already if not for this persons scavenging and reselling business.

    The bottom line is, your were lied to face to face, and that justifiably upsets you.

    The rest is poison for your soul...spit it out and shoot a roll of super-8 instead.

    Remember, if this incident had never happened, you would have never mentioned the flicker fest, and I would have never rementioned it in a new post....and a lot of wonderful information would have never been revealed to this forum...(or if so, in a less timely manner)

    It's a good thing he pissed you off since it caused you to mention the flickerla website.

    Now, shoot two super-8 cartridges and Post us in the morning.

    By the way, I think it's really cool that you met up with Alex from UK while he was in town.

    -Alex

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chas-UCLA

    You haven't been in this shop. Aren't you in the L.A. area? Why don't you check it out before you start giving this guy the saintly-glove treatment.

    As for the hyperbole about his costs (which I couldn't give a shit about anyway)-- he does his own repairs and his wife co-runs the store. Not much overhead there.

    And I seriously doubt he drives too far out of the way for garage sales on weekends -- in the five mile radius between his shop and my house there must be close to 500 yard, estate and garage sales going on any given weekend.

    Ok, I'll do as you say and "focus" my energy on wondering if he "tests" the equipment out...waiting...

    Ok, I'm focused! Well, as I pointed out earlier, seeing as how he didn't bother to clean up the gear I sold him, I kinda doubt it...Paints a different picture, don't it?
    Back to work.

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


    Chas....(is that short for Charles?)

    You ignored some of my points and I must not have been clear in the parts you did respond to....

    When I commented on Focus on whether or not this guy took care of the gear or not...

    My point was, if he DOES NOT...then eventually, he will go out of business, don't sweat it.

    He is not an inclusive type of business person, he must make every dollar from every transaction he makes.

    These type of selfish business people usually dry up and blow away, or live their lives with very few friends....(think, "A Christmas Carol")

    You've got to give leads to get leads...

    He's not doing that, and he lied to you face to face...just be glad you're not him.

    I'm not an expert in the many different fields as you sardonically stated, however, I have had the opportunity to observe many different small business entrepreneurs, and I've seen what works, and what doesn't.

    His ONLY flaw, (besides being a liar) he doesn't add value to the product he purchases, just cost.

    But if in fact, this guy was a competent, knowledgeable repairman, who brought everything he bought used up to a respectable standard, his pricing structure would be entirely respectable.

    -Alex








    [This message has been edited by Alex (edited July 28, 2001).]

  3. #13
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So, how was the party I wasn't invited to.

    Sheesh, you invite me to check out All American Zero, but not one of your partys...

    -Alex

  4. #14
    Inactive Member chas_ucla's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13th, 2000
    Posts
    345
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'll invite you to my next screening.

  5. #15
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    By the way, this was the topic post that turned Chas against me.

    Chas mentioned he needed to vent in his first post on this thread...

    I should have responded to Chas differently, he was looking for support, not resolution from the board, he was pissed and just wanted to vent...I wanted to explain the other side to him.....ooooppps...

    (Kind of like Men are from Mars, Chas is from Venus sort of a thing) (I'd put a smiley face here but it would be ignored)

    I was never against Chas...but this very topic post turned Chas against me.

    Did I ever personally attack Chas in any of the posts above...did Chas ever personally attack me...????

    All I know is ever since, Chas has been cold toward me.

    The people who hold grudges against others, (primarily Roger and Chas, primarily against me) always claim it is the other way around.

    My very last topic post on this forum has been
    locked to prevent members from commenting about how Mike B. offed me from this forum without once having any kind of an e-mail discussion with me.

    He claims he did, but he didn't. As Mike says, this is not majority rule, it's ownership rule.

    I just happened to be the sap that did a lot of the work early on that helped this forum grow that Mike didn't do.

    I offered to not post to anyone who did not want me to post to their comments...but Mike B. nixed that idea.

    So I will be on another Super-8 forum here at Hostboard.

    Free speech lives...just not here.

    --------------------------------------------------

    By the way Chas...did you ever think of offering those movie viewers to members of this forum rather than practically just "giving" them away....???

    Your friend who teaches the Super-8 film class at UCLA would have loved having them to either sell or give to his students...instead you sell them to a complete stranger for next to nothing...then whine about the result.

    One weird thing that I noticed was a deep-rooted philosophical difference between me and the three amigos. (Matt P., Chas, and Roger)

    I have always advocated that the Super-8 filmmaking community be part of a network of Super-8 filmmakers who use the expertise of those around them for transferring and fixing cameras...of course, you must pay for this professional level of service, but by expanding the pie of those who can make a living because of Super-8, Super can remain alive.

    Chas, Roger, And Matt P. usually were on the opposite side of this issue...the funny thing is...I think both sides of the fence are equally valid.

    I don't know if this even relates to any of the acrimony that developed on this board, it's just interesting to note that Matt doesn't want to pay a tech to lube his camera if he can avoid it, Roger advocates doing your own transfers, as does Matt, Chas hates the guy who sells cameras....(probably justifiably so)...

    So, some people just can't get along, I guess.

    Cheers.

    ------------------
    Alex




    [This message has been edited by Alex (edited October 29, 2001).]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •